In Six Reasons Employers Should Encourage Healthy Eating Part 1, we discussed why employers have a vested interest in the health of their employees. Food and fitness have a direct impact in workplace productivity and profit. The first half of our six important reasons employers should encourage and facilitate healthy eating options in the workplace included:
Healthier Eating Leads to a Healthier Workplace
Healthier Eating Boosts Productivity
Healthier Eating Reduces Sick Days
Our list continues:
4) Healthier Eating Improves Employee Morale
Happy employees are more productive and less distracted than those battling with melancholy and depression. Below are key statistics correlating happiness with productivity:
- Companies with happy employees better their competition by 20%
- Happy employees are 12% more productive
- Happy salespeople report 37% higher sales
- Happy employees take 10 times few sick days
- In order to be happy, 36% of workers would forfeit $5,000 per year to be happier at work
Though there are a number of factors influencing happiness in the workplace, “67% of full-time employees with access to free food are ‘extremely’ or ‘very’ happy at their currently job.” Providing employees with healthy snack and lunch options will help turn your team in to a happy, productive machine.
5) Healthy Eating Fosters Community and Teamwork
Employers can help improve teamwork and community by encouraging healthier eating habits in the workplace. When employers set goals for healthier eating, it fosters a spirit of teamwork and community among employees. Employers can further facilitate healthier eating by creating monetary incentives for reaching health and weight milestones. Executives can stimulate teamwork by creating health and fitness between various branches.
6) Healthy Eating Creates Marketing and Employment Advantages
It is a good time to be a company that encourages healthy living and creates incentives for eating well. Facilitating a healthy workplace improves your company’s reputation and can create advantageous marketing opportunities.
Furthermore, 48% jobseekers are weighing company benefits when they consider working for you or your competitor. If your office is designed to foster healthy and happy living, it sets your company apart to the best and brightest applicants.
Some quick tips for employers who want to facilitate healthier eating:
- Provide healthier snacks (nuts and grains, fruit, raw vegetables, etc) in the break room.
- Limit the presence of sugary snacks
- Encourage drinking water as opposed to sodas and energy drinks
- Provide lunch breaks long enough for employees to find or prepare healthy meals and exercise
- Consider corporate catering for lunch
Catering companies offer affordable lunch, healthy lunch plans. For more information regarding our lunch plans, contact us.